[horde] Re: removing system users

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Feb 28 08:08:11 PST 2005

Zitat von Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 16:14 +0100, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Zitat von Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
>>
>> > and tried using the Administration->Users->Delete User (trash can)
>>
>> You should have used the "Clear User" icon instead. And please read the
>> mailing list archives for explanations how that works and what still
>> needs to be done.
> ---
> I very much understood that - you pointed that out to me a week ago and
> I got it - I was trying to demonstrate that I was actually working
> through potential situations and seeing what the results were rather
> than just conjecturing.

> I have searched the 'horde' list at Marc for occurrences of 'clear user'
> and didn't find anything that referenced anything in the 'still to be
> done' type discussion but think that it would be a curious place to
> derive intentions.

Did you actually look how the user clearing works? It simply calls API
methods following a certain conventions in all applications that
implement this method. The applications (including Horde) is
responsible for doing whatever is needed to remove user data from the
system. Currently only preferences are being cleared out because noone
felt motivated yet to implement clearance of more backends or
applications.

> Thus the conclusions I came to that I could find nothing that suggested
> current implementation or planned implementation:
>
> - external access to which authentication or a queue could be left for
> things like 'clear user' functions for those that create/delete users
> from a system other than horde

Lost you.

> - 'Delete User' function (trash can icon in Administration->Users)
> doesn't appear to have relevance for systems that create/delete users
> apart from horde

Of course not, it for deleting users *through* Horde, not *from* Horde.

> - Utility that would allow reassignment of ownership of objects from one
> user to another

Nice to have. Also discussed in the long thread about user clearing
buried somewhere in the ML archive.

> - Utility that would search for objects remaining in horde datatree that
> belonged to 'users' that are no longer in imap system

Nice to have but far too specific.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/