[horde] inactivity timeout

Kevin Konowalec kevin at ualberta.net
Wed Jun 1 11:40:48 PDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Kevin Myer wrote:

> Quoting Kevin Konowalec <kevin at ualberta.net>:
>

>> Is there a way to specify an inactivity timeout in Horde?  If a user
>> is actively working on something he should never get booted - but if
>> his session sits idle for a certain amount of time he is
>> automatically logged out.  Should his session come alive in under the
>> time limit the counter should be reset.
>>

> How do you define inactivity?  If I'm typing a long email and it
> takes me two
> hours, I could be actively typing the whole time but inactive as
> far as Horde
> is concerned...

Well the primary use will be for our students in public labs.
They've got a habit of forgetting to log out and leaving the
terminal, thus opening themselves up to problems.  Historically we've
instituted a 15 minute timeout, so if the server gets no requests
from that session for 15 mins then it is logged out.

> Otherwise, straight from the Horde Setup General tab:
> $conf['session']['timeout'] = timeout value
>
> How long should sessions last? 0 means that the session ends when
> the user
> closes their browser. Set other values with care - see
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.session-set-cookie-params.php.

Is that a hard timeout (ie if I set that to 15 does the user get no
more than 15 minutes regardless?)