[horde] cannot generate horde.conf; screen stays blank

Dick Hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Thu Jul 7 15:09:05 PDT 2005

On 07 Jul Edwin L. Culp wrote:
> Quoting dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.st>:
>
> > I'm a bit disappointed. I run a FreeBSD-5.4R system with PHP-4.3.11,
> > apache-1.3.33, imap-uw/cclient and lots of PEAR.
> >
> > The install seems to go well. httpd.conf gets updated, restart apache en
> > the horde/test.php comes up well. Exept for the fact that NO pear is
> > found anywhere.
> > I run a pear config-show and the php_dir that's there is exectly the
> > same as horde test.php is using in probing, looking for pear. That's a
> > bit weird en puzzling to me..
> >
> > Next thing I do is login on http://localhost/horde -> the root page
> > should come up but all I see is a white screen with some menu options on
> > top and a little menu on the left side. No matter what options a choose
> > there, nothing happens.. the screen stays white/empty.
>
> Don't know what version of horde/imp you are running but I'm running
> the head version with Freebsd 6.0 with no major issues.
> (Apache2,php5,ldap2.3,mysql)
>
> First you need to install the php4-pear port first and then you can
> decide to install the rest of pear from ports or directly with:
> # pear install [whatever]
>
> There is a  good step by step proceedure in horde/docs/INSTALL but not
> FreeBSD centric.
>
> JFYI,
> I have installed the following php5 extensions but are not all needed
> for horde and don't even have them all in etc/php/extensions.ini
>
> lang/php5                databases/php5-mysql
> archivers/php5-bz2       databases/php5-mysqli
> misc/php5-calendar       security/php5-openssl
> textproc/php5-ctype      devel/php5-pcre
> ftp/php5-curl            devel/php5-pear
> textproc/php5-dom        sysutils/php5-posix
> graphics/php5-exif       www/php5-session
> lang/php5-extensions     textproc/php5-simplexml
> ftp/php5-ftp             net/php5-soap
> graphics/php5-gd         databases/php5-sqlite
> devel/php5-gettext       devel/php5-tokenizer
> converters/php5-iconv    textproc/php5-wddx
> mail/php5-imap           textproc/php5-xml
> net/php5-ldap            net/php5-xmlrpc
> converters/php5-mbstring textproc/php5-xsl
> security/php5-mcrypt     archivers/php5-zlib
> security/php5-mhash
>
> You only must have what is mentioned in horde/docs/INSTALL
>
> With pear I just install     pear install -o Log Mail Mail_Mime DB Date File
>      pear -d preferred_state=beta install -a Services_Weather
>
> from the docs/INSTALL and then go through ALL the different apps
> included in test.php and install everything that is missing.  Just get
> rid of the red ink;)
>
> I also have installed:
>
> sysutils/pecl-fileinfo   print/pecl-pdflib
> graphics/pecl-imagick    archivers/pecl-zip
> databases/pecl-memcache
>
> from ports.
>
> Really the above is just a reference and the good stuff is in
> horde/docs/INSTALL and probably on one of the wiki's but I don't have a
> url.

> [...]

Thank you for this explanation. I (almost) have the same modules
installed, only for php4 (not 5) and apache1.
I will uninstall all the pear-* modules and the php4-extensions and
start over. Maybe this helps (although I already did this almost like I
write now WITHOUT SUCCESS).

I will install the PECL modules though.

What I don't understand is why my PEAR is not detected _and_ why thje
setup screens stay blank!
And yes, I read all documentation and can see nothing I did not do like
it's told to do. That's why I'm a little frustrated. I simply want it to
work because it seems such a nice program. My php version is supported
(no red lines ;-) It has a memory limit warning but hey that's ok. PEAR
is not seen (very weird, it's there alright) and starting the config
screen nothing shows.. (except the tiny menu's). I'm puzzled..

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11-stable ++ FreeBSD 5.4