[horde] MIMP authentication

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer at iu13.org
Tue Aug 23 17:41:03 PDT 2005

Quoting Jason Dixon <jason at dixongroup.net>:

> Yes, I see that it works fine, it's just not a very attractive login
> screen for normal users.  I hate to uglify the whole experience for a
>  handful of users.  If there is indeed no other way around this, I
> guess I'll just install another instance of Horde/MIMP for these
> users.

Using a PDA to read mail has rarely been a pretty experience.  The MIMP
interface has been designed to be lightweight and simple, and probably not
generally for normal user login, through a full-fledged web browser.  As
stated, if you have a centralized authentication system in place (like LDAP)
that IMP, MIMP, and other Horde apps authenticate to, use that system for
authentication to Horde and you can still achieve a single login for mobile
users if they goto http://example.com/horde/mimp/login.php without uglifiying
the whole experience for most other users.  Or if you don't care about # of
Megabytes downloaded to your PDA, spruce up the MIMP login screen a bit (i.e.
make it heavier) and use MIMP for authentication.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer
Senior Systems Administrator