[horde] Stable(ish) versions of WHUPS and Wicked

Ben Chavet ben at horde.org
Wed Sep 20 16:56:42 PDT 2006

Quoting Seb Belcher <s.d.j.belcher at gmail.com>:

> Ben Chavet <ben <at> horde.org> writes:
>

>> You need to install the Text_Wiki PEAR package (pear install Text_Wiki)
>
>> Are you using Horde from CVS HEAD, or a stable release?  I believe
>> that Horde_Form_Type_datetime is only available in CVS.  Any time you
>> are running an application from CVS HEAD (especially an app without a
>> stable release, like wicked or whups), you should also use Horde and
>> Framework from CVS HEAD.
>>
>> --Ben
>>

> Thanks Ben, that explains it.  Thing is, I an loathed to use HEAD Horde
> because this is a production system, I want to be able to trial these apps
> within the existing framework to see if the users actually find them useful.
>
> Is it possible to tell by looking at a snapshot whether it is at least all
> working, I'm worried that if I just grab an arbitrary snapshot on the day I
> decide to do the Horde upgrade it might have a bit of broken code in it and
> mess up the whole system.
>
> Forgive me if I'm underestimating the Horde team! There might never be broken
> snapshots, but the warning on the horde.org site is very clear; that
> snapshots
> might not work.

Well, using CVS HEAD really is a choosing a balance of risk/reward.
It's always possible that a given HEAD snapshot will eat your cat, but
for the most part they're quite stable.  Whether you switch to HEAD
really depends on how much you want the new features.

Some tips if you do decide to move to HEAD:

    install, or that might fix a problem you're having.  Upgrade to new
    snapshots when things seem stable.

  - When upgrading, make a copy of your existing copy so you can revert
    back right away if anything does break.  This has certainly saved me
    a couple of times.

  - Make sure your first snapshot works in a test environment before
    deploying it.

Hope that helps.

--Ben