[horde] php and postgres, Re: Horde 3.1, memcache sessionhandler, sidebar, and flock()

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jan 2 11:19:09 PST 2007

> Quoting Chris Stromsoe <cbs at cts.ucla.edu>:
>
>> The more I look at this, the more it looks like here is either
>> In any event, I'm stumped about where to look.  Is anybody else using
>> postgres and shares/datatree seeing the same issues (extremely long
>> lag times to create the first instance of a share) ?
>
> I haven't seen this specific issue, but I do have speed issues in
> Ansel listing photo galleries (mysql this time, so I don't think this
> is pgsql specific). I'm looking at various remedies; unfortunately
> for me removing about 1,000 rows from horde_datatree (10,000 from
> horde_d_a) by getting bookmarks into their own table didn't do a
> think for gallery listing speed.
>
> I'm planning on doing more, looking into this + shares in plain SQL +
> your data, but in the mean time, do you still see this as related to
> the memcache session handler?

Also - seeing as this seems to be an issue with subsequent accesses
(i.e. the first exists() access, according to Chris' analysis, runs
extremely fast - it is multiple calls to exists() that really destroys
performance), maybe this is an issue with data structures/memory usage
in PHP?  i.e. some of the issues we have fixed in IMP lately dealing
with looping code and memory allocation such as removal of newlines in
large messages, quoted-printable encoding with large messages, and
doing PHP splitting of large MIME messages.  Possibly the same issue?

Of course, I know pretty much zero about the datatree/shares system so
this may just be noise.

michael