[horde] homedir based on uid and not username

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue Oct 23 21:01:26 UTC 2007

Zitat von "Leland J. Steinke" <steinkel at ctinetworks.com>:

> Jan Schneider wrote:
>
>> Yes, this should be possible, using the _username_from/to_backend hooks.
>>
> OK, I've done this (used _username_{from,to}_backend hooks to create a
> handle for storing horde data in such a way as a user can change their
> username but not lose their horde settings).  Now I find that horde is
> trying to use the handle for accessing non-horde services, such as FTP
> storage of ingo scripts and LDAP lookups for group memberships.  Some of
> these I can work around, but others, like having to add the handle for
> an "Individual User" when updating share permissions, rather than just
> their current username, are proving rather problematic.  Interestingly,
> in this last case, the username is presented after the permissions are
> updated.
>
> Am I doing this incorrectly?  Are my expectations excessive?  Is this a
> Horde problem, but not a big enough problem to merit more attention?  I
> can accept positive answers to any of these three questions.

Unless I missed something this sounds like the correct behavior. These
hooks' sole purpose is to allow a different user name inside Horde
than is used outside. The outside name is provided by the user on
login and used anywhere the name is displayed to the user. The inside
name is used internally only.

These hooks are usually only used if the outside name is ambiguous,
e.g. if the user name is case insensitive (it isn't inside Horde), or
you can have the same user name multiple times, e.g. in different
domains. In your case it's ambiguous because users can change their
names. If you use the hook, everything *inside* Horde is stored under
the UID, but the users login with the clear names, and Horde will use
the names when accessing backend servers *outside* of Horde.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/