[horde] Horde framework for a large Web based project and more ...

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 21 19:09:02 UTC 2008

Quoting Elier Delgado <elier.delgado at gmail.com>:

> I see that many people don't know about horde, being horde more powerful

True.  Horde has stayed more under the radar than most.  No one is writing
magazine articles or blogs about it.

> I worry about this because them the people not contribute with the Horde
> like with other populars frameworks

I feel we have plenty of people who contribute code, though we have almost
none who contribute documentation.  If Horde has a weakness, it is
documentation.

Sometimes having too many people contributing can be as bad as not
having enough people contributing...

> And other important issue is the available documentations, Joomla for
> example has a complete book translated to
> some languages.

This is the weakest point in Horde.  We've never got anyone to get behind
the docs for any period of time...

> Horde it's very good, maybe better, but I don't like see how other
> frameworks and system grow very
> much faster,

It isn't about growing faster.  Horde has been around a long time, longer
than most other frameworks.  It maintains backwards compatability within
point releases, unlike many others.  It releases security patches quickly,
in the rare cases there are security issues (many other frameworks and
apps have many more security issues than Horde).

Fast growth can be exciting, but it can lead to problems with security,
stability, and backwards compatability...  Horde may go slow (no set
release schedule, etc) but this allows for more stability and backwards
compatability than others projects can provide.

> future, and I will must
> developt in Horde if finally I select them.

And hopefully contribute back to the project, so we can grow faster and
be better! :)

> What we can do to revert this situation, make Horde more accessible, more
> interesting, most popular,

I'm not sure that is needed, or desirable.  Though I'd have no problem with
it being that way myself.

> how to involve more user to develop for this.

Again, the only place we sorely need help is documentation.  And that is
the hardest place to recruite people...

So I'm not sure what we can do to improve the situation with the
documentation.
If I did know, I would have done something to improve it...

If you have any ideas on how to get people interested in documenting
Horde, please let us know!  So far we've failed to come up with anything.

Programing code is exciting, and people want to do it.  Documentation is
boring, and no one wants to do it (though everyone wants it to exist).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!