[horde] Using GIT for Horde?

Peter Meier peter.meier at immerda.ch
Mon Apr 21 22:20:52 UTC 2008

Hi

> Thanks - this is pretty interesting to me, but I'm also badly
> uninformed about GIT. Is there a good quickstart that you can
> recommend for playing around with a checkout from the import you did?

assuming you didn't yet look at the following documents I really can
recommend them. They helped me a lot to start:

- git svn crash course: http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
- git for cvs users: http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
- tutorial introduction:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html
- and maybe linus on git: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8
(some cvs bashing, but its ok)

actually what was really hard for me was to go away from the thinking of
something central as a repository where everyone checks out. so my
problem was to go away from the idea of cvs/svn and to see the idea and
workflow behind git-projects. i think if you got that with some project
you'll see many advantages in a community driven development, as well a
non-central development. anyway this is my personal view on that. I can
not recommend git for every project(setup), but horde might be a
candidate to at least have a look at it, how it could improve the/your
development.

greets pete