[horde] Question About Horde 3.2 Global Options

Andy Dorman adorman at ironicdesign.com
Fri May 30 14:08:11 UTC 2008

Hello, this past weekend we upgraded our development system to
the final releases for Horde 3.2 and Imp 4.2 and other apps.

Congratulations everyone for an amazing system.

I have one minor but troubling bug that popped up during our move
to the final release or possibly the last release candidate a
couple of weeks earlier.

But before I even consider submitting a bug report I wanted to
see if anyone else was seeing this same behavior.  If it is just
us then I expect I missed a config setting somewhere.  I had
problems with a source code merge when setting up the last
release candidate and had to recreate all our configs by hand.

Alleged bug:
- user at mydomain.com logs in first time since this bug popped up
- login IS successful
- Horde sidebar comes up fine.  Main application has error
message: > Catchable fatal error: Object of class PEAR_Error
could not be converted to string in
/var/www/webmail.mydomain.com/horde/lib/Horde.php on line 699

- In four test cases so far, the error disappears after we go
into Global options, Display options and set "What application
should Horde display after login? "

- There was one test case where the problem never came up.  In
that particular case, the user had previously set that option.
We do not believe it had been set before in the other four cases.

Background:
- OpenLDAP for auth, prefs and turba data
- Virtual domains (use the FULL username at domain for everything)
- Horde apps are dimp, imp, ingo, mimp, password, and turba.
Current May 25, 2008 release versions (or latest available) for all.
- Cyrus IMAP
- Horde login set to use IMP for login
- horde/config/registry.php
$this->applications['imp'] = array(
     'fileroot' => dirname(__FILE__) . '/../imp',
     'webroot' => $this->applications['horde']['webroot'] . '/imp',
     'name' => _("Webmail"),
     'status' => 'active',
     'provides' => array('mail', 'contacts/favouriteRecipients')
);

- horde/config/prefs.php
// what application should we go to after login?
$_prefs['initial_application'] = array(
     'value' => 'Webmail',
     'locked' => false,
     'shared' => true,
     'type' => 'select',
     'desc' => sprintf(_("What application should %s display
after login?"), $GLOBALS['registry']->get('name'))
);

So, it appears to me that Horde is not finding the initial app to
display and that is what is causing the error.  When the user
sets the initial app, the problem goes away.

So is there someplace else I need to go to set a default value
for the initial app for Horde to display?

Thanks for any thoughts and I apologize if I am wasting
everyone's time in reading this email.

Sincere regards,

Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.