[horde] Users

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 15 20:36:05 UTC 2008

Quoting horde at corwyn.net:

> I'm running CentOS 5.1 and the Horde webmail 3.0.1 on top of postfix
> and dovecot.
> Currently Authentication is set to
>  $conf[auth][driver] : Let Horde handle authentication
> and
> $conf[auth][params][app]  : imp

You're using IMAP authentication.

> This works to authenticate in webmail to the local /etc/passwd
> /etc/shadow (default auth).

Actually, I'm betting it is IMAP authentication, that is, it authenticates
to dovecot via IMAP (and dovecot authenticates via passwd/shadow).

> When I change
>  $conf[auth][driver] to Password file Authentication
> authentication fails.  tinkering with settings eventually leads me
> to reverting it back to the defaults.

Probably best.  Unless your Horde install is on your IMAP server, this
probably wouldn't work (as the passwd/shadow files on your Horde server
wouldn't be the same as those on your IMAP server, if they are different
machines).

> I've dug around / googled a fair amount for documentation on these
> two parameters, and haven't really found anything (except other
> people searching for the same thing) .  Is there an actual
> document/manual on these settings anywhere?

Probably not anything detailed.

> Authentication is key from a product security perspective. I've been
> surprised I can't find a standard default document that explains the
> authentication options and how to enable /configure them.

The problem seems to be you are using IMAP authentication.  You can't
manage IMAP authentication via Horde (e.g., create/delete users, etc)
since IMAP doesn't support that.  If you used a backend that supported
management (e.g., ldap, sql, etc) then you could (in most cases) do so
via Horde.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.