[horde] Horde/Kronolith Email Reminders Random Behaviour

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Thu Apr 30 22:43:31 UTC 2009

Zitat von Robert McAuley <rmcauley at ca.afilias.info>:

> Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Zitat von Robert McAuley <rmcauley at ca.afilias.info>:
>
>> Agendas and reminders are completely different things. Thus
>> reminder preferences don't apply to agendas.
>
> The option specifically states:
>
> "Choose if you want to receive daily agenda email reminders:"
>
> Selecting "On my calendars only" results in people getting events
> that are definitely not in only their calendars.

Events in the agenda or in alarm notifications?

>>> - Reminders arrive a random amount of minutes late (5, 10, 20, 30,
>>> 60, no rhyme or reason)
>>
>> Do they arrive late, or are they sent late? Are the dates in the
>> reminder messages correct?
>
> They are sent late, often at strange times that the */5 cron does
> not run at.  (does the script fork?) I only have examples myself of
> reminders being sent far after they were supposed to. (none that
> were actually sent *after* the event, although my users complained
> loudly of it)
>
> The best example I have is an email for a user who had an event
> whose reminder was set for 20 minutes before the event started at
> midnight UTC.  The date sent on the email was:
>
> Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:00:06 -0400
>
> Which is on time for the event, but 20 minutes later than he wanted
> the reminder.  A "bizarre time" example from another event is:
>
> Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:59:25 -0400

Alarm notifications are also triggered by users using the Horde
interface. The purpose of the alarms.php script is to make sure that
alarms are also sent out if noone is using the interface.
My guess is that alarms.php doesn't work at all for you, and you are
only seeing notifications if someone is using the interface.

> It's hard to get examples of this functionality being broken at the
> moment since email reminders stopped working altogether.  Is there a
> way (even if I have to modify the code a bit) to get logging enabled
> only on the alarms script?

Set logging to debug and run the script.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/