[horde] my plan for upgrading my horde install

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Aug 25 20:12:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, mtecles at biof.ufrj.br wrote:

> I don't know which Horde version you are using, but I think you
> should not do it like this, some upgrades need intermediate
> versions. Remember, upgrading means upgrading database also, not
> just replace Horde files. The upgrades scripts are in Horde
> applications and they are supposed to be used from one version to
> another.

  i know, i've been reading the UPGRADING document.  i have to move
from 3.0.9 to 3.3.4 -- that's going to require a number of steps,
obviously.

  as i read it (and i could be wrong), first i can run a number of
scripts to bring the horde mysql database up to date -- scripts that
take it from 3.0.x to 3.1.x to ... etc etc.  until the database is
fully up to date.

  once that's done, it can't possibly be used by the old software so
that's where i have to now install and configure the 3.3.4 version of
horde and, once that's done, *that* version will now be able to work
with the updated mysql database.  does that sound about correct?

  (i checked, and the 3.3.4 software does contain *all* of the
cumulative upgrade scripts, so there is enough there to bring the
database fully up to date.)

> Backup your database and Horde directory. Rename Horde directory,
> download the following version of yours (Horde and applications),
> read the UPGRADING docs, do the upgrade. Rename Horde directory,
> download the next following version (Horde and applications), read
> the UPGRADING docs, do the upgrade. Repeat this for each version
> until the newest.

  that sounds like a lot of work, to keep installing and configuring
every intermediate version.  i realize it's a safe way, but can't it
be done the way i've suggested -- bring the database up to date
quickly by running the appropriate update scripts, then install the
newest software and configure it to resemble the old setup.

  if people tell me that's a bad idea, then i can do it one step at a
time.