[horde] logging into horde just fails quietly

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Aug 26 19:07:50 UTC 2009

   i am fresh out of ideas here, and i apologize for abusing this list
as much as i have.

   with my new 3.3.4 install, i have an account and password that
seems to be valid.  when i use it to login to horde, the log file
(/tmp/horde334.log) shows:

Aug 26 14:58:02 HORDE [notice] [horde] Login success for rpjday
[192.168.169.1] to Horde [pid 16754 on line 138 of
"/var/www/XXXXXX/horde/login.php"]

   should i then assume that the authentication worked?  except that,
rather than getting dumped into a horde session, the name and password
test fields are cleared and i stay at the horde login screen.  no
errors, no diagnostics i can see.  just quietly resetting everything
and waiting for the next login.  as if, somehow, there's a bad
redirect or URL or something.

   given that my log file doesn't show any errors, what other log file
can i check to see what's happening?  my biggest frustration right now
is that i don't see any error messages being printed *anywhere*.  if i
could at least see an error message, i'd have something to go on.

rday

p.s.  after i had earlier unloaded the 3.3.4 tarball and set up
initial config/*.php files, i could at least get into horde and start
the configuration.  now i can't get there at all.  help?