[horde] "sendmail returned error code 127"

Spyros Tsiolis stsiol at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 08:55:35 UTC 2010

Hi Tom,

--- On Tue, 12/1/10, tom burkart <horde at aussec.com> wrote:

> > So, as I said, managed to re-install.
> > I put horde-Framework under /var/www/horde and
> > horde-webmail under /var/www/webmail
> As I have said before, that if you want lots of pain then
> do it that way.

Can't argue with you on that. I already am in a lot of pain :-)
But looking at different installations can, probably, give me an
insight on what the heck is going on and why does it not work.

> > Horde-Framework seems like a nightmare to fine-tune
> and configure.
> As the framework is part of the webmail you will get those
> options there as well....

"As well", you say. No, defininetly not. I cannot get the
infamous "Administration->Setup->Horde" on webmail.
Coming back to why I installed both framework and webmail.
On the other hand, on the framework installation the choice is
clear and it's there :
On the left hand side of a panel with a lot of choices, you go
to "Administration->Setup-> and on the right hand side, there is
one choice "Horde 3.3.5". You click on it and voila ! A frame
pops-up on the same (right) side with (let me count them) 31
choices. Some of them :

General / Database / Authentication / SignUP / Logging / Preference System / \
Alarm system / Data Tree System / Groups / Permissions / Share

(and that's only the first line of tabs of choices), then further down
what I think you chaps have been telling me for the last couple of days :

"Mailer" with a rough content description below :

Mailer Settings :
       $conf[mailer][type] :
            1. disable mailing
            2. use the local sendmail binary
            3. Use a SMTP Server

I think this is the choice for SMTP - choice 3 that is.

> > So I went ahead and installed Horde-Webmail under
> /var/www/webmail
> It is more preferable in terms of first time setting up to
> have it under /var/www/horde assuming it will appear as
> http(s)://hostname/horde/

Yes, Tom, I know. But remember I did two installations instead of
one, so I had to distinguish between the two.

> > Checked everything that you chaps said I should
> check.
> > Indeed, there is a line in
> "/var/www/webmail/config/conf.php" that says :
> > --
> > $conf['auth']['admins'] = array('Administrator');
> > --
> As I said before "Administrator" needs to become the user
> name that you log in to IMP as and want administrator
> privileges for.  Ie. this needs to be changed to a real
> user name _before_ it will work.

How exactly would you change "Administrator" to a real username ?
E.G. I have dovecot installed and I decided that auth will be
supervised/handled by dovecot. At least for the mailusers.
From what I understand, I have to follow another procedure for this
specific account.. What is that ? The only document I have to guide me
is "/var/www/webmail/docs/INSTALL" and there's nothing there.

> > http://www.horde.org/horde now works fine under
> "/var/www/horde"
> > and
> > http://www.horde.org/webmail now lives under
> "/var/www/webmail"
> This will only work properly if you change a pile of
> settings to make it work.  For a first time install you
> are going to cause lots of frustration and pain for
> yourself.

This is a test installation. The machine will be formatted again
(for the N'th time) and once I get my head round Horde, I will get rid
of Framework and install only webmail as you say (and name it /var/www/
horde).

> I would recommend to you to _only_ install the webmail
> package under /var/www/horde to save yourself needless
> frustration and pain.  The base Horde framework is part
> of the webmail package so that there is no need to
> separately install it.

As above.

> Also make sure the Administrator user becomes one or more
> of your local users.

i have him as a dovecot user. But I suspect that is not what I am
after.
Any pointers ?