[horde] Doubt about default shares creation

Michael J.Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Oct 20 17:16:44 UTC 2010

> Zitat von "Michael J.Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org>:

>>> Sounds about right, though this shouldn't be configurable.
>>
>> This was done this way on purpose. We don't want the user's
>> personal share to automatically be created for a number of reasons.
>> First, for apps like Turba, it's possible to have multiple backend
>> data stores. We don't want to have each one of those having a
>> personal share created on it automatically. It's also possible the
>> user is using an app such as kronolith only to access a remote
>> calendar, for instance and the user does not want another, local
>> calendar created. There were a number of complaints about this
>> prior to adding this feature.
>>
>> The way it works, at least in Turba, is if there is any address
>> book the user has Perms::WRITE access to, then we don't create
>> another one. I can check that this is the case for the other share
>> apps as well, but I believe we should still prevent the creation of
>> the "default" share if there as at least one other source with
>> write permissions for the current user.
>
> I don't agree. I think it's more confusing to the user if he doesn't
> get a personal share for some reason that really escapes him. I see
> that there might be a reason where we don't want to create a share,
> but this should be really limited, well-defined situations, e.g. for
> guest users obviously.

By the same logic, it doesn't make sense to not allow a user to delete
their personal share if so desired. If we always do a check for the
personal share, and create one without exception, then the user will
have no way to *not* have a personal share: I log in, see I have an
unused, unwanted source, I delete it. The next page load, it's back.

For example, even if I primarily use kronolith to access a remote
calendar, I would still always have a new local calendar created for
me, even though I do not want or need it. Similarly, in Turba, even if
I primarily use a non-share enabled source as my primary address book,
I will still always have a personal share created for me, and no way
to delete it.

--mike

The Horde Project
http://www.horde.org