[horde] Class 'Horde_Alarm_sql' not found in Horde/Core/Factory/Alarm.php

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Fri Apr 29 23:52:47 UTC 2011

> Quoting Ernie Dunbar <maillist at lightspeed.ca>:
>
>> I recently upgraded PHP to version 5.3.3 (it came with the latest
Debian upgrade to Squeeze), and after finding that Horde v3.x was made
unusable,

> How was Horde 3 made unusable?  Horde 3 works fine with PHP 5.3.  If you
are referring to (harmless) PHP warnings thrown due to deprecated PHP
code syntax, you can easily silence those errors.

Well, whatever. Now that I'm installing Horde 4.0.1...

>> I installed Horde 4.0.1 by following the instructions at
>> http://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/INSTALL#installing-with-pear.
>>
>> After overcoming a path issue that was introduced in those instructions, I
>> now get this fatal error:
>>
>> Fatal error: Class 'Horde_Alarm_sql' not found in
>> /usr/share/php/Horde/Core/Factory/Alarm.php on line 60
>
> You did not update your horde/config/conf.php.  While we try to make
config files work as well as possible with previous versions, there are
no guarantees.  This is a *major* version bump - these sort of things
are unavoidable.

Okay, problem solved by starting with conf.php.dist.

>> This really doesn't sound good. For all intents and purposes, this
means that large blocks of code are missing from the Pear installation.

> This is flat-out an incorrect statement.

Whew! I was worried for a minute there!