[horde] Upgrade to Horde4, or stay with 3?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed May 11 20:38:42 UTC 2011

Am 11.05.2011 21:39, schrieb Eric Jon Rostetter:

>> PEAR is a bad joke because you have no control with "pear upgrade"
>> what version will be fetched if you have more than one machine
>
> If you install "<package>-1.1" it installs verions 1.1.  How hard is that?

this makes fun on more than one machine instead a "yum update
with defined versions?

>> so it can be that on your test-machine all is sane and the
>> next day you get a newer package on production-system which
>> is broken
>
> Specify the versions, and that isn't a problem.  Or copy the install
> from your test to your production.

it take me some days to get a hordemigration
i have other things to do than broken setups rebuild

> You seem no to understand that PEAR packages are just tarballs.  There
> is nothing to generate as a package is a tarball.  But, if you want
> to consolidate them,  you can.  How should we know what you and others
> want consolidated (yeah, we can make a very good guess, but still).

THE SAME AS BEFORE DAMNED AND ADDITIONAL STUFF IN NEW PACKAGES

> Besides, we haven't provided RPMS for years.  So for years packagers
> needed to do this work themselves (rpms, debs, etc).  Not much new,
> except now it is distrubuted as many tarballs instead of a few tarballs.
> Not a giant difference.

if you have no other work maybe

>>> They _DID_ think about this, and discussed it.
>> even more worse seeing what happended finally
> Why didn't you and others get involved in the discussions?

because i never had thought that a DAMNED WEB-APP needs more
attention as the whole peration system with hundrets of packages

sorry - but i maintain 20 fedora-production-servers and normally
a dist-upgrade for ALL SOFTWARE including horde as also the core-os,
rdbms, webservers, ftp-servers takes about 10 minutes and 30
seconds for reboot on a VMware-ESXi-Guest with as few packages
installed as possible - the work upgrading horde now feels
like making the jump from Fdora 12 -> 13 -> 14 only for one
application - gratulations!