[horde] Feature Request - allow envelope-sender to equal envelop-to on reply.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Jun 14 19:03:28 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:

> Hi
>
> There is a feature request, which, while it only just occurred to
> me, I can't believe hasn't been requested before.
>
> My mail server (in common with several others) allows for a
> delimiting character, everything after which is ignored (by default
> in postfix it's a +, but you can change this)..  So that
> user at domain.com is the same as user+identifier at domain.com
>
> I find myself using this more and more often, not just to file mail,
> but also to track which sites are sharing my email address.
> However, the value in this is nullified when I have to respond to an
> email and the sender becomes user at domain.com
>
> Would it be possible to add a feature to IMP that says if you get an
> email delivered to user at domain.com but envelope-to is
> user+identifier at domain.com, that the envelope-sender automatically
> becomes user+identifier at domain.com?

This works just fine with IMP 5.  Responding, e.g., to a message from
foo+bar at example.com correctly sets the To: address on the compose
message to foo+bar at example.com.

> Also, if it would be possible to specify what the delimiter is (in
> my case it's non-standard).

To the extent this doesn't already work, no.  Why would you need this
anyway?  Such e-mail tags are meant to be transparent to everyone
outside of the local MTA anyway.

michael