[horde] passwd H4 polishing for release - Requirements and directions?

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jun 15 11:17:16 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2011, 12:47:43 schrieb Jan Schneider:
> Zitat von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>:
> >>
> >> Thanks.  Are you submitting back to git?
> >
> > The changes are already in git.
> > http://git.horde.org/horde-git/-/browse/passwd/?ws=1

> >> Yes, but I would hope we could keep it doing more than just that.
> >
> > Me too.

> >> And an interesting one, though I'm not sure who if anyone would want to
> >> work on it (so it may never happen).
> >
> > I had done some work out of tree for re-implementing eleusis from cvs.
> > This has just stalled because there were more urgent tasks.

> >> Would certainly be a good start (and work for me, since I use it with
> >> the ldap backend).
> >
> > We are currently using it with the hordeauth backend, and hordeauth is
> > actually ldap. SQL has also been tested.
> >
> >  * TODO: Add horde_test unit tests to passwd.

> >> If you have horde, sql, and ldap complete, it could probably ship.  We
> >> could see about removing some of the older, less used drivers too.
> >> Others could be released if we at least think they should work, and we
> >> can fix bugs with them as they are reported.  horde/sql/ldap should
> >> cover most people...  Be nice if composite worked too, but probably not
> >> a show stopper.  The kolab folks could probably help get the kolab
> >> driver working.  I'd certainly not be opposed to dropping some drivers
> >> (like pine, servuftp, etc) and shipping with untested ones (like
> >> expect, procopen, vpopmail, vmailmgr, etc).  As long as we have some
> >> well tested popular ones together (sql, ldap, etc).
> >
> > [..]
> >
> >> Some could just be dropped (until someone wants to pay for them?).
> >
> > Sure - open source does not mean people shouldn't pay for special needs.
>
> We should still convert the existing drivers to H4 blindly. Otherwise
> the code would diverge too much over time. It's sufficient if the code
> looks correct and parses. Users of those drivers can do tests with
> production environments then.

[..]
> Jan.

Okay. I'll blindly convert the remaining drivers next.

Since I started the thread, I didn't touch any but the three "main" drivers
discussed here, horde, sql and ldap. The latter uses Horde_Ldap now and will
be tested.

If somebody with an ActiveDirectory setup volunteers for testing, I'll also
address that use case.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer