[horde] horde 4 installation

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Sun Jun 26 12:56:34 UTC 2011

Quoting redhat at techspace.nl:

> i.m used to download the tarbals witch i need configure the modules
> and drop them in several servers i own.
> This is a effective way for upgrading my horde modules.

Certainly less effective than using PEAR. The upgrade procedure based
on PEAR is one of the central advantages of using it. Maintaining
several servers this way should be no problem.

> Now i wanted to upgrade to horde4 is there a way to do the same
> download tarbals configure them and dropping these in the web-server.
> Without using the pear installation witch giving me a headache.
> Tried to install thou pear no success.

What exactly did fail? For most people this works without any
problems. If you provide details we can probably help and maybe even
try to improve our installation instructions.

> and if so witch tarbals do i need.
> I downloaded and opend a lot of them from
> https://github.com/horde/horde/downloads cant seem to find witch i need.

The "downloads" section in github is nothing we use. In fact github is
just our external code mirror and I don't think we say we deliver
anything but a convenient view on our code via github.

We don't provide tarballs to install from at the moment. This has been
discussed on this list a few times already and you should be able to
find hints on how to derive tarballs if you feel you really need them.
If there is a real demand we might still consider to do them but so
far it was not necessary.

> just wand the horde group-ware (it was so easy in horde3 why change
> a good thing).

The installation might be slightly unusual as there are not that many
projects fully relying on PEAR at the moment. But if you compare that
to the reduced effort you have when upgrading then I would say this is
irrelevant. Especially since PEAR comes with any PHP installation
anyhow and we also expect a working PHP when you want to install Horde.

Cheers,

Gunnar