[horde] Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Maciej Uhlig maciej.uhlig at us.edu.pl
Mon Jan 9 20:40:52 UTC 2012

On 2012-01-09 13:47, Jan Schneider wrote:
> As mentioned earlier (http://wiki.horde.org/ReleaseManagement), we
> plan to work on some redesigning for the next Horde release.
>
> The two major reasons are:
> - to regain a more consistent user interface between the different
> applications and the different application modes (Ajax vs. Traditional)

I have Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 4.0.5: Horde (with
Administration), Imp, Ingo, Passwd, Kronolith, Turba, Gollem, Mnemo and
Nag installed. I prefer working in dynamic mode. There are three
interfaces to the system: old (Horde (with Administration), Imp, Ingo,
Passwd, Turba, Gollem, Mnemo and Nag), medium (Dimp) and new (Kronolith).

The most serious issue with all these is three _different_ user
interfaces while we should have only one. The most straightforward and
quick fix (according to Kaizen continuous improvement philosophy) is to
give all aplications the old interface (i.e. old good sidebar) with
dynamic capabilities. This shouldn't be very difficult as far as dynamic
Imp is concerned. I don't know about Kronolith, but it's 10% only.

Having only one (although old) interface almost immediately, we can
think even longer about quite new interface design, which is your second
major reason:

> - to modernize the oldfashioned traditional interfaces

Best regards,

MU