[horde] ActiveSync, one way (iphone->Horde) is very long

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jan 10 16:54:37 UTC 2012

Quoting Stefan Johänntgen <Stefan at NicoleJo.de>:

> Am 09.01.2012 14:34, schrieb gimili:
>> On 1/08/12 7:45 PM, Simon Wilson wrote:
>>> ----- Message from Stefan Johänntgen <Stefan at NicoleJo.de> ---------
>>>   Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 22:54:38 +0100
>>>   From: Stefan Johänntgen <Stefan at NicoleJo.de>
>>> Subject: [horde] ActiveSync, one way (iphone->Horde) is very long
>>>     To: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> Have a look through this thread and play with forced heartbeat
>>> instead of device managed.
>>>
>>> http://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20110718/041567.html
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> Perhaps it was just timing but after seeing your email, I tested a
>> new iphone and it was instant.  Does your iphone have the latest
>> software?
>>
> Now i have the iphone back to factory setting. iOS5.0.1
> Unfortunately, no difference. When I add a new contact appears the
> busy icon but it is not synchronized. It takes a very long time.

Can you clarify what you mean by a "very long time"? 5 minutes, hours, never?

> (Only the first sync is fast!) If I have a new contact in turba
> adding he will be transferred immediately. The new contact from the
> iPhone is then transferred into turba.

I see minimal delay, maybe a few seconds, for device changes to be
sent to the server. This is with the device managing the heartbeat.
This is with iOS 5.0.1 on both an iPod touch and an iPhone 4G S.

> When I select in the horde config $ conf [activesync] [ping]
> [deviceping] "Forced Heartbeat" everything works.
> Are forcedheartbeat=0 and waitinterval=1 criticallywith up to 5 devices?

This is likely to kill your battery fairly quickly. What this means is
that after a device sends a PING request, the server will check for
changes exactly *once* during the request, and then disconnect (since
the forced heartbeat is zero, the heartbeat will be expired 1
millisecond after connection). You should set your heartbeat (the
length of time a PING request should last) to be at least some
multiple of the waitinterval (the length of time that, during a PING
request, the server waits before checking the backend for changes).

If you provide a device specific synclog, starting from the beginning
of a new device pairing, I can take a look to see if there is anything
funky going on that is causing the device to not send changes. As
stated, I see no significant delay on any of my devices. Both iOS and
Android.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)