[horde] Ansel - Some Images stay grey

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Mon Mar 5 22:01:19 UTC 2012

   Datum: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:00:23 -0500
     Von: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
Betreff: Re: [horde] Ansel - Some Images stay grey
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

>>  Datum: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:40:46 -0500
>>    Von: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
>> Betreff: Re: [horde] Ansel - Some Images stay grey
>>     An: horde at lists.horde.org

>>> This probably has nothing to do with the bug, but rather an issue
>>> with your database configuration.
>>>

>> Oh, thats the worst I wanted to hear :(
>>
>> What do you suggest in that case? I want for my own good-feeling
>> have a good-working and OK installation of H4.
>
> For starters, storing all the image data for an application like
> Ansel in a SQL datbase is going to be *horribly* ineffecient. Unless
> you have a good reason why you can't use a filebased VFS, I would
> reconsider.

May I ask at last how you mean 'horribly inefficient'?
Do you mean it that the images uploaded should be considered to be
small, or at least not to large so that they grow the DB into enternity?

Because when I think about it for longer I feel that file based
storage for Ansel only is a good choice indeed.

But as I set to file based VFS I have seen all the images in Ansel has
been gone, I think because the path has changed out of my Horde DB to
a directory in my filesystem (which I created)

Is there a way, if one changes the VFS, that the content of whats
already in the database can be moved to the new VFS storage?

What else did I loose as I set the VFS to file based? I didnt find anything..

> That being said, if you want to continue down this road - for
> starters you could check the schema for the Vfs tables in the
> database. I would also check for things like maximum allowable
> packet size in the database server's configuration. Check the
> database documentation for further information.

I know a sql guy and will ask him to show me that tomorrow. Will
report results to you then.

Andreas