[horde] Interface design Horde 4.1/5.0

Leena Heino Leena.Heino at uta.fi
Fri Apr 20 12:49:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

> I, too, am interested in this answer.  Especially since our experience has
> been just the opposite: nobody uses the traditional mode anymore - only the
> dynamic (and smartmobile) mode, for IMP at least.  All paid development
> requests in the last 3-4 years have been exclusively for the dynamic view.  I
> personally am no longer actively adding features for the traditional view.

Positive feedback:

* Smartmobile mode was liked (once users found it). Some had a feeling
of slightly dissapointment when they could not answer or compose messages

* Some users felt that the dynamic UI was more modern and made some
operations easier and faster

* Users liked that they were still able to use the Traditional mode,
because they knew how to get things done on that UI.

Negative feedback on Traditional view:

* General: Does not seem to work on smaller screen sizes (under 1024
pixels wide) when WebKit browser are used eg. Chrome, Safari: The left
panel and icons get all mixed up

* IMP, Kronolith: Users would like to be able to Print the whole message
or Print the whole Month

Negative feedback on Dynamic view:

* General: Some users felt that the new UI was just too different to be
able to use it efficiently or had a feeling they did not have to the time
to learn the new interface or the new ways of doing things

* General: Kronolith dynamic view looked very different from the
dynamic view of IMP.

* General: At the time there was no dynamic view on other apps like Turba,
Horde, Nag, Mnemo, Gollem.

* General: Problems with older Browser versions: Browsers in
older Nokia phones, old Firefox versions like 2.x and 3.x.

* IMP, Mailbox view: Font size was smaller than it was in traditional view

* IMP, Mailbox view: Select all selected all messages, not just those that
vere shown on the screen

* IMP, Compose: Some browsers eg. Chrome on default settings seemed to
want extra confirmation when pasting text from another application

* IMP, Print: Unable to print the whole message including the information
about attached files.

* Kronolith, Month view: by default did not show same information as it
did on the traditional view (missing event times and locations)

* Kronolith, UI: users were not able to find how to get back to IMP

--
   Leena Heino              University of Tampere / Computer Centre
   ( liinu at uta.fi )      ( http://www.uta.fi/laitokset/tkk )