[horde] Fwd: ActiveSync Log: ERR: PING terminating, forcing a SYNC: Previous syncstate has been removed.

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Jun 6 16:11:38 UTC 2012

Forwarding to the list:

----- Forwarded message from Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org> -----
    Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:07:33 -0400
    From: Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>
Subject: Re: [horde] ActiveSync Log: ERR: PING terminating, forcing a
SYNC: Previous syncstate has been removed.
      To: Stefan Johänntgen <stefan.johaenntgen at webservus.de>

Quoting Stefan Johänntgen <stefan.johaenntgen at webservus.de>:

> Zitat von Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Stefan Johänntgen <Stefan at nicolejo.de>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if I create ther first new contact inmy iphone he appears within a
>>> few seconds in the Horde webinterface (Turba).
>>> But the second takes hours until the entry is in the address book.
>>>
>>> There is alway the "busy" Symbol on my iphone Adressbook
>>>
>>> In the ActiveSync Log I found this error:
>>>
>>> ActiveSync Log: ERR: PING terminating, forcing a SYNC: Previous
>>> syncstate has been removed.
>>
>> This occurs when the server-side state for the device is removed.
>> It basically means that the device expects the server to know about
>> a certain state, but the server has no idea, so the device
>> initiates a fresh sync. It usually happens when there was some
>> unexpected/uncaught error during the last sync attempt.
>>
>> Were there any other errors in the horde log or the server error log?
>>

>>> The ActiveSync Settings are "device managed".
>>>
>>> Is there perhaps a Problem with Apache Config?
>>
>> This is unlikely. If it was a web server config issue, the sync
>> would never had started.
>>

>>> PS How can I post the log-File from the first and second
>>> syncronisation, I thing 500 Lines. Per Copy and Paste or an
>>> attachment?
>>
>> You may send the the sync log(s) as an attachment directly to my
>> email address of mrubinsk at horde.org (the mailing list will likely
>> strip it).
>>
>> --
>> mike
>>
>> The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
>> mrubinsk at horde.org
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> here is it. There is the sync from first contact in iphone (thats
> okay and immediately in Horde) and then the second contact... there
> is only the "busy" Symbol in iPhone.

The error message is only occuring before the first contact is
uploaded. While this looks like a bug, it shouldn't affect your sync.
It does look like a bug though. What is happening is that the initial
state is not being stored, probably because it only stores the state
after a change - and you have no contacts on the server being sent to
the device.

Your log shows a successful PING request and handling at the end. You
can test this by entering a contact, or changing the existing contact,
from within Horde. You should see a fairly quick change sent to the
device. Horde has no control over when the device decides to send up
device changes. It could be that it waits until the currently running
ping is finished.

The only thing I can think of is that because a few PING requests
resulted in requests for resyncs, the client might have throttled the
sync. See if editing a contact on the server results in a successful
sync back to the device and, if so, if that triggers the client to
start sending changes again.

Either way I'll look into fixing the initial state-storing bug if it's
not already fixed in Git.

mrubinsk at horde.org

----- End forwarded message -----

mrubinsk at horde.org