[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu May 2 03:31:49 UTC 2013

Quoting adi at ddns.com.au:

>>> I was using this, indeed. As soon as I disabled it the interface became
>>> more responsive due to the number of IMAP connections dropping. However,
>>> once disabling this option Horde stopped checking for new mail every 5
>>> minutes, as set up.
>>
>> You probably disabled the incorrect preference.  Disable
>> 'newmail_notify', NOT 'refresh_time'.
>
> This is what I did: as user, went to Preferences -> Mail -> New Mail
> where I have:
> - "Poll for New Mail:" - "Every 5 minutes" in the drop-down.
> - "Display notification when new mail arrives?" - unchecked

This is correct.

>>> Is it me misunderstanding this feature? When capturing the traffic to
>>> the IMAP server with "Notify on new mail" enabled I saw Horde
>>> authenticating and polling each IMAP folder like this for every click:
>>> . STATUS "INBOX" (RECENT)
>>> . STATUS "INBOX.zzz-lists.horde" (RECENT)
>>> ... and so on.
>>
>> This is the IMAP code used to poll mailboxes.  Unfortunately, you
>> have an older IMAP server and can't take advantage of the new
>> LIST-STATUS feature, which greatly reduces the overhead of polling.
>
> Will have to check if Courier-IMAP version we're using has this feature.

Courier-IMAP is probably the slowest IMAP server out there.  It also
supports none of the new IMAP features specifically tailored to
applications like webmail (e.g. CONDSTORE/QRESYNC, LIST-STATUS)

Understood that some people have no choice about what IMAP servers
they use.  But this day/age, there really is only two servers to use
for performance reasons: Dovecot and Cyrus.

michael