[horde] Question about password reset function.

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sun Sep 1 08:25:29 UTC 2013

Hi Wayne,

please keep discussions on the list :)

On 01.09.2013 02:52, W Z wrote:
> My apology Ralf. I left a typo in your name.
>

> 2013/8/31 W Z <iamnewleon at gmail.com <mailto:iamnewleon at gmail.com>>
>
>     Ralk,
>
>     I am looking around for some manual/documentation for setting up
>     authentication (LDAP,IMAP, or SQL)  backend.
>     But it seems it is very limited and not very intuitive to me. The
>     most I could get are from Horde wiki articles regards to
>     authentation. But they are indeed very limited.
>
>     Could you please give me some idea where to look for relevant
>     documents that can assist me in a step-by-step style ?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Wayne

You best point your browser to
http://yoursite.com/admin/config/config.php?app=horde and go to the
"authentication" tab.

There you can fill in authentication details.
Most important is the conf[auth][driver] dropdown

For example, choose mysql, choose "horde defaults" in driver config and
leave the following fields empty (default encryption is ssha). Hit the
generate config button. Your horde/config/conf.php file will have
changed, copying the old one to conf.php.bak. These files must have
write access for the web-server user (in opensuse: wwwrun, in debian:
www-data)

Then go to the user config screen /admin/user.php and begin entering
users. When you log out and back in, you will find yourself using the
entered credentials.

Please mind the conf[auth][admin] array which says which usernames
should have admin privileges.

Advanced users often directly edit the con.php file.

When configuring the passwd application later on, mind backends.php for
documentation and examples.

I usually use this backends.local.php when the horde authentication is
"sql" or "ldap":

$backends['hordeauth'] = array(
    'disabled' => true,
    'name' => 'Horde Authentication',
    'driver' => 'Horde',
    'policy' => array(
        'minLength' => 6,
        'minNumeric' => 1,
    ),
    'logout' => true,
);

This delegates the actual work to the horde authentication driver.
Backends php contains more info for custom sql, ldap, poppasd,
postfixadmin, samba/cifs and other authentication scenarios and even
http/rpc calls to remote servers.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer