[horde] KitKat email clients with Horde

Volker Then horde40 at volkerthen.com
Sat Jul 12 17:05:33 UTC 2014

Zitat von Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> The Samsung email client that comes with the S4 KitKat is the same
> one that has been there since 4.2, and it's really not that special,
> so I'm trying some alternatives for Android 4.4.2.
>
> I installed the Android Email / Exchange APKs (I tried both 6.0 and
> 6.2), and found that unlike every other client it displays my Imp /
> IMAP folder structure with Drafts / Sent / Saved Emails / Trash as
> sitting UNDERNEATH Inbox, so at the top of my Inbox display is the
> list of those folders... :( Anyone else have the same? Is it likely
> to be something about how I have my userspace or something?

The Android Email/Exchange client has still a vital bug: in the Sent
folder's list view it shows only the sender's name and not the mail
recipients. The IMAP folder structure is listed correctly here. Nexus
5 with Android 4.4.4.

> Of the others I am looking at:
>
> "Nine" works really well, very nice UI, seems to be working nicely.
> My only gripes are that it supports AS 14.0 only not 14.1; and the
> unread count on the icon displays count of all unread emails that it
> knows about - you can't tell it to 'just show me unread count of
> inbox'. $10 too. Calendar and Contacts are shunted neatly into the
> existing Android data stores.

Simon, thanks for the hint. I've tested "Nine" since yesterday. The UI
is really the best of all clients and fits into the android look &
feel. Composing of plain-text messages is not supported. It is a
little bit slower than my IMAP push client "Aqua mail", but has a
smoother interface. I will check the syncing reliability for the next
days. If all works well I switch the entire syncing process to this
one app. The app developers write they will also support tasks and
notes syncing in the near future.

> "MailWise" has a bit of a way to go with a few things - not so
> pretty, slower, no unread count support on icon, no ability to
> change font size, but does nicely roll up things like Google+
> updates into single update threads. Also nice ability to change what
> swipe left / swipe right does in the email list. Free. Haven't tried
> its Calendar or Contacts sync yet.

Tested this too. Seemed ok, also no plain-text composing. K9 and
Tochdown I didn't like because of their UIs.

Volker