[horde] Moving Signature Up in Replies

Andre Luiz Paiz andre.paiz at iqm.unicamp.br
Thu Aug 28 12:15:26 UTC 2014

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:11:27 -0700
> From: "M. Ryan DiMaria" <rdimaria at dimarialawgroup.com>
> To: Steffen <skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de>
> Cc: "horde at lists.horde.org" <horde at lists.horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Moving Signature Up in Replies
>
> Perhaps I am out of my league. What the heck is a TOFU Culture or an MUA?
>
> I am a simple person that likes things to make sense. My clients and
> the people I communicate with understand email followed by a
> signature from the person emailing, reply followed by the signature
> of the person replying.
>
> Why on earth would anyone place a signature somewhere else in the
> sequence of communications?
>
> M. Ryan DiMaria
> DiMARIA LAW, APC
> 18101 Von Karman, Suite 330
> Irvine, CA 92612
> rdimaria at dimarialawgroup.com
> www.dimarialawgroup.com
> Phone: (949) 225-4407
> Cell: (949) 584-1555
>

>> On Aug 14, 2014, at 6:50 AM, Steffen
>> <skhorde at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> wrote:

>>> That happens with a TOFU culture as in most outlook-centric companies.
>>
>> Unfortunately several mobile clients implement it the same way. See
>> the message
>>
>> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 09:20:12 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [horde] How to upgrade to webmail-5.1.5 with PEAR (was
>> Re: HGWE  5.1.5 and HGWE 5.2.0)
>>
>>> There is no way in Horde to move signatures up and they are not intended
>>> to be moved up. Even in a TOFU scenario, it's not even useful.
>>>
>>> Moreover, it's probably a considerable nightmare to properly implement
>>> and maintain this including all edge cases.
>>
>> It distracts reading, replies are out of context, ...
>>
>> In fact, there are traditional MUAs, that cut a message at the
>> signature, so one is unable to respond correctly.
>>
>> Sadly, it gets more and more wide spread and I wonder if Horde (and
>> Alpine, Mutt etc.pp) can withstand that pressure, maybe IMP's
>> message composition mobile should be named "Asterix" ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Steffen
>> --

I was wonder if it is possible to use a flag to indicate where the
signature should be placed when writing, like a button (e.g. a red
ball on the left side of the html window, like debugging a software)
or a special character that will be replaced by the signature.
Just an idea...

Andre Luiz Paiz
Instituto de Quimica - Unicamp - Campinas - SP