[horde] Kolab integration problems

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Apr 20 17:50:17 UTC 2015

Zitat von Jens-U. Mozdzen <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> Hi *,
>
> after having had severe problems storing Horde configuration data
> into IMAP in Kolab format (starting somewhere around beginning of
> 2015), we now face similar trouble with the calendar entries.
>
> I could work around the configuration issue by saving
> (Horde-specific) configuration via MySQL back-end, this won't work
> for the calendar objects (and similar, like tasks and addresses)...
> I need to share *these* objects beyond Horde and we have a decade of
> history in that format.
>
> While the error occurs in kronolith, I'm sending this to the general
> Horde mailing list because AFAICT, the problem lies within the
> framework - my suspect still is the cache infrastructure.
>
> A short description on how the problem faces:
>
> - I create a new schedule entry - works fine
>
> - I try to update a schedule entry - and will receive an error
> message in the UI like
>
> "Beim Aktualisieren des Termins ist ein Fehler aufgetreten: Failed
> writing the Kolab object: Failed parsing Kolab object input data of
> type string! Input was:
> Æioz»"¢}tzw(v)àQ1|z÷§¶÷«²*'×K¢wžv¿<... [shortened to 50
> characters] Versuchen Sie stattdessen den Termin zu
> importieren.<span class="GrowlerAlertDate">[16.4.2015
> 10:54:10]</span>"
>
> (An error occured when updating the schedule: Failed to... Try to
> import the schedule instead.)
>
> Looks like the entry itself is stored in compressed format (in the
> Horde cache), but not decompressed when retrieving it via the
> Kolab-specific routines. But of course, this is just guesswork.
>
> I'm willing to plunge into the code again, but would need a pointer
> to where relevant changes were applied to the Horde code.

Honestly, the Kolab libaries are such a pile of complex and abstract
code, that it's really hard to follow, at least for me. Each time I
need to fix something there, I need to dive deep in the code and trace
execution paths to find out what exactly is going on. So, no, sorry,
no pointers off my head.

> Does anyone at Horde test Kolab integration anymore, or was Kolab
> support dropped and I didn't catch the announcement?

It's still officially supported, but only fixed or worked on
on-demand. Since it's currently rarely used (I still like to see Horde
supporting the most recent Kolab out-of-the-box again), there is few
interest in fixing bugs for free. It's really time consuming (see
above) for a rather small target group. So currently the best bet is
to either dive into the code yourself, or pay us (the Horde LLC) for
fixing things.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project