[horde] Second attempt Newbie with Ambitions

Jens Hellermann hellermann at we-do.com
Wed Jul 15 13:55:11 UTC 2015

Am 15.07.2015 um 13:52 schrieb Michael J Rubinsky:
> Please don't top post.
OK, my freind says I just need to answer somewhere and the colourfull
lines going to appear on their own. Hopefully :~
> Quoting Jens Hellermann <hellermann at we-do.com>:
>
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> OK, I set the rights for the www-data group now on all */config
>> directories and saving the administrative configurations works like a
>> charm now. Still the behaviour of the normal preferences getting
>> stored in the sql database but don't become appplied remains.
>>
>> I didn't find the horde.log but realized that syslog is quite
>> informational also for msysql entries. I don't find any errors
>> concerning saving the data though there was an error concerning
>> xcache dynamic cache setting (was zero) which I fixed.
>
> The horde log exists wherever it is configured to in horde's
> configuration conf.php. It could very well be configured to use the
> syslog. Make sure you have the logging level turned all the way up too.

Correct it is set up to syslog by default. The same seems correct for
the mysql.log.

>> That didn't fix the issue though. I went through
>> horde/config/conf.php and conf.php.dist but didn't find any mistake.
>> hooks.php doesn't exist only  hooks.dist.php so nothing can be locked.
>
> hooks.php has nothing to do with locking preferences. This is done via
> prefs[.local].php.
Oh, I got to study deeper into this topic.

>> I have to admit I don't know how to proceed.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that you have configured to use
> a split-read configuration for your database (writes to one instance,
> reads from another).
Luckily this is not the case:
> I found the mistake thanks to this guy : http://kb.odin.com/en/900 .
> In Horde installation manual the set up of the database uses UTF-8 as
> characterset as example. So when I set up 'locales' during
> installation I only chose en_EN UTF-8 and de_DE UTF-8 because I
> thaught it might be better to stay with the same setting like in the
> database tables. According to this article from the same
> guyhttp://kb.odin.com/en/113834 <http://kb.odin.com/en/113834> it
> seems modern browsers are not set up any more to work with UTF-8 so
> the settings in horde under preferences\locales could not be applied.
> A simple 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' did the job.
Now the global preferences seem to work fine, only in the mail
preferences I tested the signature without success. Hmpf. Tomorrow is a
new day. Until then I'm going to check how my horde webinterface looks
in Chinese and Farsi as I chose "All" when doing the 'dpkg-reconfigure
locales'.

Thanks a lot for your help and with kind regards, Jens.