[horde] ActiveSync disappearing and reappearing contacts

Matthias Marx mmarx at netdmon.de
Wed Jul 15 17:14:37 UTC 2015

On Wed 15 Jul 2015 01:49:18 PM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
<mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Matthias Marx <mmarx at netdmon.de>:
>
>> On Mon 13 Jul 2015 05:00:55 PM CEST, Michael J Rubinsky
>> <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

>>> Oh, you have two accounts on the same device, connected to the
>>> same Horde install? There may be some strange interaction there
>>> I'll have to test when I have time. Would you know if the same
>>> issue occurs on one of your new accounts when it's the only
>>> account set up on the client?
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply ... I'm in the process of migrating my
>> server from Debian 6 to CentOS 7 ...
>> I wanted to do that anyway and thought that maybe some kind of odd
>> behavior of the old php5.3/mysql5.1 version could cause this, but I
>> still see the problem with php5.4/mariadb5.5.
>>
>> Back to your question I didn't explicitly test my test account as
>> an only account on the Nexus devices but I remember that I had the
>> same issue with a new account when I first setup the device, my
>> workaround was then to use CardDav for the contacts and no calendar
>> syncing because that's not used on this device. But now the user on
>> that device would like to use calendar syncing as well, so that's
>> the reason I'm trying to fix the ActiveSync stuff.
>> Could you point me in the right direction for the Android emulator
>> you are using, I could set it up and try to recreate the same
>> behavior with my test account.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Matthias
>>
>> --
>

> http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html

Thanks, using that is easier than I thought.
Here is what I tested:

* Lollipop 5.1.1; One/Same test account
   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
     * Same behavior as described before
     * During sync, contacts appear and vanish again
   * Sync contacts only
     * Same behavior as described before
     * One sync, contacts appear, next sync contacts vanish, and this
cycle continues.
* Lollipop 5.0.1; One/Same test account
   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
     * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
   * Sync contacts only
     * Same behavior as with 5.1.1
* KitKat 4.4.4; One/Same test account
   * Sync contacts; Sync calendar; no email
   * Works fine, as it should, contacts stay visible on the device
even after several syncs.
   * Can also create a new contact on the device and it is synced back
to horde correctly
   * Can also create a new contact in horde and it is synced to the
device correctly

So it looks like KitKat is working properly, after adding the new
contacts I started 5.1.1 again and the contacts also appear there but
the behavior is still broken like before.

I'm a puzzled by the fact that I have one account which is working
correctly. I thought that it may work correctly on 5.1.1 because I'm
using this account since android 2.3 ... 4.x ....
So I deleted all userdata for my test account by using the
horde-remove-user-data script.
Then I started the KitKat AVD again, deleted the account and synced it
for the first time. Created one contact, it was correctly synced back
to horde.
Then I used the 5.1.1 AVD to sync that account but the behavior there
is still broken.

Kind Regards

Matthias