[horde] Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 6.0

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Mar 17 17:23:10 UTC 2021

Hi Henning,

Am 16.02.2021 um 09:32 schrieb Twilek:
>  Hi Ralf,
>
> I think that this is a thing especially new horde users have to get
> used to. There simply is almost no communication about horde
> development and as far as I can look back there never has been. Don´t
> get me wrong, I have been a horde user for a long time now and as long
> as horde keeps up delivering high quality software which is not rushed
> and buggy I will happily keep using it.
> I have noticed that you are trying to change this and give more
> frequent updates of what´s happening. Still I think that horde is
> losing potential users and customers who think the project is dead (if
> I were now searching for a groupware solution I probably would have
> skipped horde because it looks abandonded from the outside, the
> "latest" news on the web page is from 2017). If you look at a project
> like nextcloud which will have a big press release if they change
> three pixels in their logo you always know what´s going on.
> Maybe a little more updates especially on the web page (like once a
> month or so) would in the end generate more revenue.  That´s just my
> two cents.
>
> Regards
>
> Henning

Writing updates on horde development is really something I should make a
habit of, at least as long as nobody else does.

Matters are complicated by the fact that I entertain a complete fork of
horde's master branch, all the time importing the latest changes on the
actual horde repository, developing code in multiple libraries or
applications in parallel to tackle a common underlying problem or
feature, building and testing enhancements and communicating back
changes into horde proper. Then they need to be reviewed by other core
team members and they produce valuable feedback which I need to process.
That's quite a different experience from being a fulltime
owncloud/nextcloud developer, also from a time management perspective.
But most of what I do would not belong onto Horde's website as it's
neither part of released applications nor part of the current master branch.

That said, I have written two articles short on the maintaina fork and
its features, which are all intended to be features of horde itself.

https://www.ralf-lang.de/2021/03/17/whats-new-in-maintaina-horde-status-3-2021/

I will follow up with a mini series on the turba addressbook app in the
next days. I've analysed it to understand how I can leverage vCard 4
support (from the iCalendar library) and SabreDAV's improvements in ACL
management to improve Turba's addressbook sync.
There's some fields you can save in turba or in your mobile but which do
not get synced (or even get lost on sync). There's contact group sync in
vCard 4, but it's not yet implemented in turba. One topic at a time...

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de