[i18n] another problems in RTL UI

persian-horde@metanetworking.com persian-horde at metanetworking.com
Mon Apr 25 14:02:38 PDT 2005

Hello all,

1- Jan, regarding your comments to our previous email:

>I think in this special case, it makes sense to provide the direction
>hard coded in the templates. I can't see any case where a user/theme
>designer would want to change the direction to a different value.

We hard coded the permanent left-to-right fields to ltr direction (We
added to the fields such as email addresses, file names, char-sets,
usernames,
 , which have always  left-to-right direction in any language,
an additional attribute: dir=”ltr”).

2-
>Is it possible that these pages simply don't have the direction style
>set in the body tag?

Great comment, we discovered that the “direction:rtl” which is added to
know what is the cause of this problem, but we solved it by globalizing
$nsl and $language variables as follow:

in file: horde/templates/common-header.inc:  #Line 35 [Horde3/IMP4]

global $nls; global $language; if (!empty($nls['rtl'][$language])) echo '
style="direction:rtl"';

Let us know if you have better idea about this.

3-
>> in login page our theme couldn’t be load, is it acceptable to use of
>> php code for changing alignment in login page (like the code that we
>> talked about it in previous mails):

>Makes sense to me.

we corrected login.inc in both imp and horde as follow:
Two variables are added in top of page,

$rightAlign = empty($nls['rtl'][$language])?"right":"left";
$leftAlign = empty($nls['rtl'][$language])?"left":"right";

and the static alignments have been changed using the above variables,like,
in line 141 of templates/login/login.inc file.

4- Please change the name for Persian language, from “Persian Western”
to “Persian”. We mean the language name which is in config/nls.php.

5- Is it possible to automatically load the trueRTL template for RTL
languages?(We want it to set automatically not by each user in Options
section)

---------------------------------------
*We finalized the following pages, and the work is continuing for other
pages. Please commit them if possible:

tempaltes/login/login.inc
imp/tempaltes/login/login.inc
imp/templates/compose/compose.inc
imp/templates/search/main.inc
imp/templates/search/header.inc
imp/templates/search/fields.inc
imp/search.php

and Thems:

themes/trueRTL
imp/themes/trueRTL

The files are available at the following address:

http://www.metanetworking.com/persian-horde

Thanks and Regards,
persian-horde team