[i18n] Converting the Czech translation from ISO 8859-2 to UTF-8

Michael Grafnetter grafnetter at dekanat.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Jan 15 10:16:59 UTC 2015

> Citat af Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>:
> Sorry, I still don't follow.

Sorry, my mistake, the problem does not lie in the input encoding, but
in the output encoding. Let me give you an example from the czech nag.po
file:

msgid "_List Tasks"
msgstr "_Seznam úkolů"

This works correctly, the letter S gets underlined in Horde and works as
an access key, ALT+S. The problem occurs, if you try to do something
like this:

msgid "_List Tasks"
msgstr "Seznam _úkolů"

Horde displays this string AS IS, "Seznam _úkolů", instead of
underlining the letter ú. And the shortcut ALT+U does not work. This
means that characters with diacritical marks cannot be used as access keys.

(I am aware that this is not the best example, because in this
particular case letter S gives more sense as an access key.)

File /horde/config/nls.php contains this code snippet:

'charsets' => array(
'cs_CZ' => 'ISO-8859-2',
...),

If you changed it to

'cs_CZ' => 'UTF-8',

then the PO file could contain this:

msgid "_List Tasks"
msgstr "Seznam _uúkolů"

Horde would render the string as "Seznam úkolů (U)" and ALT+U would work
as access key.