[imp] window resizing

Alain Fauconnet alain@cscoms.net
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:22:41 +0700

Hello -

I have another bit of information about the problem that  was  at  the
origin of this thread (and presumably other  similar  situations  that
cause users to  be  dumped  at  the  login  window):  UW  ipop3d  does
*retries*  when  attempting  to  lock the user's mailbox. Qpopper does
not.  That's probably why it is not possible (or at least much harder)
to reproduce that kind of problem using UW ipop3d.

Since  I  need  Qpopper's  features  (bulletins),  I  am now testing a
locally   patched   version   of  the daemon that also retries locking
(currently 5 attempts and a 2s delay between attempts).  It  does  fix
the window resize problem.

I advise others to use the UW POP server or any that  retries  locking
for IMP. Or go with IMAP, of course, but not everyone can.

Someone  also  demonstrated  to me being dumped back to the login page
just when reading  his  mail,  no  resizing  being  done.  A  probably
relevant information is that this user has a 6Mb+ mailbox, so the  POP
server  takes  quite some time to handle it. I have again tracked this
down  to  being  caused  by nested POP sessions, but this time I can't
explain why: it happends when clicking on the Subject line of  a  mail
to  display  it,  or  (more  often)  when clicking on "Back to INBOX".

I have tried to find situations where IMP would NOT wait for  the  +OK
reply  to be returned after sending a QUIT, but everything seems to be
very synchronous as far as I can tell by looking at IMP and C client's
code.

Will see if my locally hacked Qpopper fixes this either.

(IMP 2.2.4-cvs, Apache 1.3.12, PHP 3.0.16+patch on Linux 2.2.16).

Cheers,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET