[imp] mysql vs. postgres..

Martin A. Marques martin@math.unl.edu.ar
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:51:06 -0300

On Mié 08 Nov 2000 17:07, you wrote:
> I have been running IMP 2.2.0 with Postgres in production for about 6
> months now.  Other than the major annoyance of having to vacuum the
> DB nightly (a task that takes in excess of  20 minutes on an E250 with 1
> GB of ram and dual 300 CPUs) Postgres has worked very well.  Currently I
> am getting a 2.2.3 version of IMP  up and running.  This time I plan to
> use Mysql in order to avoid the need to Vacuum.    A few minutes ago
> I reread the section of the FAQ concern which DB to use.

Why is it that you vacumm every night? I use postgres with no problem, and
have never had to vacumm. Maybe I'm missing something.

> http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/prereq/index.php#p13
>
> In that snippet of info there is mention that "MySQL tends to be faster
> at the expense of robustness"  What does mean?  What kind  of problem
> have people had?

That means that MySQL would be faster because it has very poor transactions
(which were incorporated to the source about 5 months ago), and lacks of
integritty checks.
If you want more info, the Novembre 2000 Linux Journal has an article about
PostgreSQL, which has comparations with MySQL.

Saludos... :-)

--
"And I'm happy, because you make me feel good, about me." - Melvin Udall
Martín Marqués			email: 	martin@math.unl.edu.ar