[imp] login looping (again)

Rick Romero rick@valeoinc.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:26:28 -0600

On 27 Nov 2000, at 19:17, Chris Dempsey wrote:

It appears the only difference between your outlook and IMP tests,
is the source of the IMAP connection.  Where Outlook is
connection from an external machine, IMP may be connecting from
the same machine.

Is the IP address that fails, the same IP as inferno.luckyirish.net?
Can you telnet to inferno.luckyirish.net from the machine that's
running IMP?

In my own setup, IMP and IMAP are on the same box.

It's possible IMAP is only bound to the external IP address of
inferno.luckyirish.net.
If you are on inferno, and telnet to inferno, you might be trying to
connect to 127.0.0.1 (/etc/hosts), which IMAP isn't listening on.
If you are on an external host, inferno would resolve to the external
IP, which IMAP is listening on.

Try telnetting from inferno to inferno:143..  I've had many-a-problem
in the past because my /etc/hosts wasn't set quite right.

Good Luck