Installing and perhaps a different way to go

hhoffman@r-u-i.com hhoffman@r-u-i.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:39:04 -0800 (PST)

Hey All,
  I'm still playing catch-up to IMP but in trying to install another program
that uses php I have come up with an installation addendum that some may find
useful. Please do with it what you will and I wouldn't find hearing some
feeback as well.
Here we go:
1.) Don't have anyone directly add prepend, includes to the php.ini file. When
you are trying to install other php based software you will pull out all of
your hair if you don't realize that these include,prepends are the things
causing you trouble.
2.) Add all include, prepends directly to the "httpd.conf" file that way things
will only be included when necessary. (below is an example)

Alias /imp/ "/home/httpd/horde/imp/"
<Directory "/home/httpd/horde/imp/">
Options None
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  php_value include_path '/home/httpd/horde:/home/httpd/horde/phplib:.'
  php_value auto_prepend_file /home/httpd/horde/phplib/prepend.php3
  php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
  php_flag track_vars On
</IfModule>
</Directory>

I don't know if this will really help anyone other than me but while trying to
install ariadne (www.muze.nl/ariadne) I went nuts trying to figure out why
things weren't working correctly even though I'd pretty much followed the
instructions to the tee.
Again, please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Harry

Harry Hoffman
Manager Information Technology