SSL error in IE 5.x 56-bit encryption pack.

Chris Crowley ccrowley@tulane.edu
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:39:06 -0600

My webmail's apache server redirects a plain http request to the secure URL.

This works great except for users of IE 5.x who have SSL 3.0 enabled in
their 56-bit encryption browsers.

There are two simple solutions to this problem. Upgrade to 128-bit or turn
off SSL 3.0.

But, the problem is that I cannot force apache to ErrorDocument when this
error occurs. I have tried to include the relevant error codes I found
documented:
400 , 402 ,403 ,404 ,405 ,406 ,407 ,408 ,409 ,410
500 ,501 ,502 ,503 ,504 ,505

I included these directives in both the main server configuration and the
Virtual Host for my secure server.

But IE 5.x always offers this a page to its users:
res://C:\WINNT\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://webmail.tulane.edu/

Any suggestions for handling this error?  The optimal solution is to
configure the apache server such that a user who is unable to connect to the
site securely will be redirected to another server's webpage that explains
the problem nonsecurely (http).

One thought I had was that IE might try to do a lookup at Microsoft, and
when this fails, it returns this page as a default. Does anyone know if this
occurs?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Chris