[imp] Outgoing mail

Rick Romero rick@valeoinc.com
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:49:44 -0600

On 21 Dec 2000, at 0:33, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Quoting Rick Stevens <rstevens@publichost.com>:
>
> > I can ask our legal eagles about releasing some of this stuff, but
> > don't get your hopes up.  They can be picky suckers.
>
> I can imagine. But the custom MDA stuff really interests me - if we had a
> decent way to deliver to random files (all, say, owned by the webserver
> user), we could pretty easily modify IMP to work using c-client in local
> file mode, which would let people run without an IMAP server - I imagine
> some people would _love_ that. =) Folders might be a little tricky, but it's
> doable, and if there's interest I'd be willing to look into it.

What you're saying sounds a bit like how Pegasus Mail is
structured..
If you're not familiar with Pegasus Mail, it's a primarily Novell based
email system.  In 'Novell' mode, users mail is kept in their home
directories on the server.  New emails are individual .cnm files, and
folders are compressed files, containing all the messages the
folder contains.
There is also an NT mode, except I believe all the users names are
stored within Mercury (MDA) for non-novell users to POP mail.

If you could adapt IMP to work with Pegasus mail files, you'd
immediately give all Pegasus Mail Novell users access to
"WebMail".  At this time Mercury (Pegasus Mail's MDA
counterpart) doesn't have IMAP capabilities, so any current
"WebMail" implementation would use POP3, dispursing the users
mail.

Personally, I think this would Rock.  If IMP uses LDAP to
authenticate against NDS, AND get the users home directory, all
you'd have to do is read the files via ncpmount'd drive..

And that's just on Novell.. It could easily be adapted for *nix.

The only potential problem I see is that Pegasus Mail is NOT open
source.  I'm not sure if David Harris would be willing to open up the
base of the Pegasus Mail / Mercury structure.
http://www.pmail.com

> --
> "I have pointy little boobs!" - Jason
>
> --