[imp] An IMP vs SilkyMail show stopper -- is there a work around

Rob Tanner rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:51:22 -0800

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

SilkyMail does expansion of the IMSP addressbook entry, not LDAP.  What
I need is an IMP equivalent. The IMSP server includes both private
addresses, much like the contacts in IMP, but also a global
addressbook, which IMP does not have an equivalent of other than LDAP.
What I need is to get the addresses to expand just like the global IMSP
addressbook does when users are using SilkyMail.

-- Rob

--On Saturday, January 13, 2001 01:40:06 AM +0100 Atif Ghaffar
<aghaffar@developer.ch> wrote:

> Quoting Rob Tanner <rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com>:
>
>> IMP, on the other hand does not support IMSP, and though
>> it does support LDAP, address expansion does not appear to work via
>> LDAP.
>
> Does this feature work with SilkyMail? I dont think so.
>
>> Is there a workaround?  What I need is to be able to
>> authenticate, search, and have address expansion work on the search
>> result just like it does using the contact address list.
> I didnt understand the question here.
>
> I was interested to implement the address expansion from LDAP, (only
> from internal LDAP server), but havent looked into it in a while.
>
> This can work, but need a javaapplet to be embedded on the client
> side which talks to a java application (or any other tcp server). The
> job of the app is to do message passing between client and server.
> Example: user types Atif in the "To" field and tabs to new field.
> Event applet.searchUsers("Atif") is triggered
> Applet(hidden 1x1 pixel) passes the message to the server.
> Server replies with with
> document.forms[0].to.value="Atif Ghaffar <aghaffar@developer.ch>";
> applet evals the code as javascript and the magic happens.
>

> So far its easy.
> Gets more exotic when server finds more than one result.
>
> Server replies with something like
> document.forms[0].elements["to"].type="select"; (or whatever the
> correct Javascript is) and then passes the results as <option>s to
> this element :O sounds good?
>

> Yeah right!
>

>> Is this just some pieces I'm missing, or a major enhancement request?
> Major!!
>

> Best Regards
>
> --
> Atif Ghaffar
> http://atif.developer.ch

     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  McMinnville, Oregon
  rtanner@cheshire.onlinemac.com