[imp] binding keys to HTML form buttons

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:15:39 -0500

Quoting Donnie Barnes <djb@donniebarnes.com>:

> Upon investigation, this seems impossible to do with normal HTML forms.  But
> it seems entirely possible with the addition of some javascript.  That said,>
> I'm in no way a JS programmer, so don't ask for a patch.  ;-) But my question
> is whether this has been considered and if it is possible to add easily?
> Ideally the feature would just be "missing" for non JS capable browsers.

1. keybinding support in javascript is pretty spotty. It doesn't work at all
under unix.

2. Having a page load just because you hit a key could be pretty disturbing
behavior. And it wouldn't approach the response time that users expect from
keyboard shortcuts. It sounds like your friend just shouldn't be using webmail.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Entropy. It's what's for dinner.