[imp] imp 2.3.6 and server list

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:30:10 -0500

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:05:54PM -0500, Robert Marchand (robert.marchand@UMontreal.CA) wrote:
> Wow, wow, wow!
>
> <upset mode>
>
> you don't have to shout!
>
> IMAP is a standard.  good thing.  Show me a standard that has never changed,
> or that is well implanted by all.
>
> We`re here in the real world here.  You don't like bugs.  Me neither. So in
> my understanding, IMP 2.3.6 do not work well here.  That's all!!

Right. But an IMAP server that doesn't support UID FETCH is like a
webserver that can't support GET, or a POP3 server that can't support
RETR.

It's not a minor deviation from the standard, it's fundamentally
broken.

I have a very hard time believing that that IMAP server actually
*doesn't* support UID FETCH, because that would make it really hard to
read mail. So you need to look around and see why it's reporting that.

Remember, if you want to use the development version, things will
break. Often. Regularly. And there's an expectation that in using it
you'll be willing to track down problems, especially ones that you're
encountering but no-one else is.

If you want stability, you don't want IMP 2.3 yet. That's what 2.2 is
for.

> Well, maybe IMAP is a true standard, I don't know enough.

It is. Protocols like IMAP (and HTTP and POP and SMTP and so forth)
are ratified by the Internet Engineering Task Force, who publish them
in RFCs. IMAP's is RFC 2060.

> And maybe this UID thing is not a `left to implementers discretion`
> but a REQUIRED one. I don't know.

It is.

> I would have prefered that you enlight me about that instead of
> saying blank statements.

I've explained that it's part of IMAP. IMAP's well-defined and is
documented in the RFC I pointed you at before. But when I explain that
it's part of the standard, and that it won't work without it, and that
you might want to examine your IMAP server -- mightn't it be prudent
to look into that first instead of insisting that the problem is with
IMP?

> If you don't like people reporting problems...

I'm not sure where this comes from. You reported the problem, I
explained where the problem resided and asked you to check your IMAP
server's logs. You've since replied a couple times suggesting that
it's still IMP's fault, and I *still* have no idea what's in your IMAP
server's logs.

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services