[imp] bounce mail error

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:35:45 -0500

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:29:33PM +0100, Didi Rieder (adrieder@sbox.tugraz.at) wrote:

> This IMP-issue let us run into serious troubles. Because of a single e-mail
> bounced by an IMP user we had over 50k of undeliverable error messages in
> our mailqueues over night, this led to a full disk and mails were delivered
> with a delay of over 10 hours.
>
> BTW: The workaround suggeted by Stephen works.
>
> Please correct this error.

Agreed, it should be fixed, but something else is very seriously wrong
with your mail servers; if it created a loop, that means that mail
from MAILER-DAEMON or with a return-path of <> was bouncing, and,
well, you can imagine why that's not supposed to happen.

Anyone anywhere on the Internet can cause the same thing to happen
now (and you've just announced that to a public forum...)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services