Having problems with the user preferences. (fwd)

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:22:09 -0600 (CST)

[I'd like to keep this discussion on the list, so that more people can
help, and everyone benefits from the answers.  Sorry I forgot to set the
Reply-To correctly last time; I think I have it now.]

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Bill Mitcheson <turtle@pyramus.com> wrote:

> We have the latest and greatest IMP, Horde, ApacheJserver, mySQL, and PHP.

That's not specific enough... what exact version numbers of each product?
There are actually two "latest and greatest" IMP for example, 2.2.4 and
2.3.7-cvs, depending on which branch you're using.  The same is true for
MySQL depending on which branch you're following 3.22.x or 3.23.x, etc.
Thanks.

> I have the db_settings set to root@localhost with the appropriate
> password.

Now, you realize that MySQL has its own "root" user which has its own
password, separate from your UNIX/Linux root password, right?  Did you use
the horde/scripts/database/mysql_create.sql script to set up the database?
You probably should be using a MySQL user like "hordemgr" rather than the
MySQL root password.

> Would anything in IMP run if this were incorrect?

Aside from PHPLIB sessions, preferences and contacts would be the only two
things IMP uses the database for.  So yes, it could all be working except
for those, if the database settings aren't right.

I had asked:

> > Can you use the host, user, password, etc. specified there
> > to log into MySQL from the command-line on the IMP server?  This makes
> > sure MySQL in general is working.

Did you do this part?  What I mean is, if you have:

/* Database Configuration */
$default->use_db                         = true;
$default->database_driver                = 'mysql';
$default->db_user_name                   = 'hordemgr';
$default->db_password                    = 'password';
$default->db_security_nag                = true;
$default->db_name                        = 'horde';
$default->db_server_name                 = 'db.example.com';

Then you should be able to run this command from the shell on the server:

mysql -h db.example.com -u hordemgr -p horde
Password: <type password>

If that doesn't connect, then that's your problem... the MySQL database,
tables, and user aren't set up right, or the settings don't match.  Then
you'd want to re-read the install documentation for the database part.

> By the way we would like to thank all of you at the Horde project for
> creating something that is really well thought out and professional
> looking! We have searched long and hard for a webbased e-mail service
> that does not use POP. We have problems with our customers using POP
> because it deletes the mail from our server after they check their
> mail. IMAP is the best thing to use for our service and you have
> definately created the best!

Thanks for the feedback; glad to know IMP is a good fit for you.  Now we
just have to get it to work.  ;-)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>