[imp] Connection failed to localhost.localdomain,143

Tracy R Reed treed@ultraviolet.org
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:32:15 -0700

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 08:57:26AM -0500, Carlos Gabriel Arce wrote:
> Hello tracy, i suggest you to try set the IMAP server to the name of the server,
> not the loopback interface (localhost) for example   yourmachine.yourdomain.com

I specifically set the imap server to localhost because I only wanted to
run the imap server on the 127.0.0.1 address for security reasons. But I
reconfigured my imap server to run on my public IP address and
reconfigured IMP to connect to it and I am getting the exact same
behavior.

<b>Warning</b>:  Connection failed to ultraviolet.org,143: Connection
timed out (errflg=2) in

>From a quick grep I can't find this error message anywhere in the source
code for imp/horde/phplib. Where could this be coming from? I am pretty
sure the problem is not with my imap server because I can log in and
execute all commands by hand very reliably.

hmm...I just had a thought: Courier IMAP has a variable in the config file
that determined the max number of IMAP sessions that can be open to any
one IP. The default is 4. Does IMP open a separate connection for each
action? Perhaps some of these sessions are overlapping and hitting the
limit. I just increased this number to 500 and it seems to be working
properly now! I can't believe it took me so long to figure that out.

Ok, here's another question now that I have this thing working long enough
to actually play with it:

How do I make copies of sent email go into my sent-mail folder?

--
Tracy Reed      http://www.ultraviolet.org

Date: Mon,  9 Apr 2001 13:54:52 -0400
From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] Connection failed to localhost.localdomain,143

Quoting Tracy R Reed <treed@ultraviolet.org>:

> hmm...I just had a thought: Courier IMAP has a variable in the config file
> that determined the max number of IMAP sessions that can be open to any
> one IP. The default is 4. Does IMP open a separate connection for each
> action? Perhaps some of these sessions are overlapping and hitting the
> limit. I just increased this number to 500 and it seems to be working
> properly now! I can't believe it took me so long to figure that out.

Sounds like the right diagnosis to me.

> How do I make copies of sent email go into my sent-mail folder?

$default->save_sent_mail = true; and then set the $default->sent_mail folder
appropriately.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
Number of U.S. nuclear bombs lost in accidents and never recovered: 11

Date: Mon,  9 Apr 2001 13:55:49 -0400
From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] no sender, no date, no body, only "no subject" displaid

Quoting Jean-Francois LE CAM <JeanFrancois.LeCam@altiplano.fr>:

> Well, today all clients work (netscape/linux and ie/windows).
[snip]
> When it does not work, all clients don't work (netscape/linux and
> ie/windows).

Okay... is there anything that you can think of that changes when it works as
opposed to when it doesn't work?

-chuck

Date: Mon,  9 Apr 2001 13:56:48 -0400
From: Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org>
To: imp@lists.horde.org
Subject: Re: [imp] Download attatchments in IExplore 5

Quoting Carlos Gabriel Arce <carlos@caliescali.com>:

> Hello, I have horde-imp with imap+qmail+redhatlinux7. when i download
> attatchments
> via modem, it works ok, but when I try to download into a intranet trough a
> proxy server
> with Internet Explorer 5, I get a window that download /horde ?
> The proxy server is squid running on Linux.
> This is not a problem in netscape. Some help?

Is netscape using the same proxy server?

I've used IE through a proxy without problems... is there anything else like
SSL involved? Can anyone else with this environment comment?

-chuck