Return-path problem with IMP on Solaris

Lisa Koch lkoch@coe.neu.edu
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:35:58 -0400 (EDT)

We've recently installed IMP 2.2.4 here for our students, who had been
clamoring to replace our POP-based webmail with something that could
handle folders.  It's a great package and our users are very pleased with
it.

However, we have one serious problem with IMP.  All messages are sent out
with the correct "From" line, but with "Return-Path" sent to the "www"
user (this is the user that runs Apache).  This causes error messages, and
even replies from certain mail clients, to go to www instead of the sender
of the message.

We tested IMP on a Linux box, but we have gone "live" with it on a server
running Solaris 2.8.  It's the very same IMP, on Apache/PHP4/Sendmail, and
I can't figure out why the "Return-Path" works on Linux but not Solaris.
It seems that the $from variable (containing the value of $imp->user)
which is passed to sendmail with the -f option in horde.lib is not being
picked up, or is being overridden somehow.

We found a few other differences in deploying IMP under Solaris vs Linux.
We had to manually set the location of the temp directory to /tmp (the
system default was not picked up) on Solaris, and the .php3 files
(default.php3, etc.) must not have trailing whitespace, or the whole
package barfs.  But our only outstanding issue is the Return-Path.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that the readers of this list may be able
to offer about how to cure this problem!

Thanks, Lisa

--
Dr. Lisa K. Koch
Assistant Dean for Educational and Computer Technology