[imp] Return-path problem with IMP on Solaris

andrew morgan morgan@orst.edu
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Lisa Koch wrote:

> We've recently installed IMP 2.2.4 here for our students, who had been
> clamoring to replace our POP-based webmail with something that could
> handle folders.  It's a great package and our users are very pleased with
> it.
>
> However, we have one serious problem with IMP.  All messages are sent out
> with the correct "From" line, but with "Return-Path" sent to the "www"
> user (this is the user that runs Apache).  This causes error messages, and
> even replies from certain mail clients, to go to www instead of the sender
> of the message.
>
> We tested IMP on a Linux box, but we have gone "live" with it on a server
> running Solaris 2.8.  It's the very same IMP, on Apache/PHP4/Sendmail, and
> I can't figure out why the "Return-Path" works on Linux but not Solaris.
> It seems that the $from variable (containing the value of $imp->user)
> which is passed to sendmail with the -f option in horde.lib is not being
> picked up, or is being overridden somehow.

What do your sendmail logs say?  I'm running IMP on Solaris 8, and the
only change I made to the default /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file is:

237c237
< O PrivacyOptions=authwarnings
---
> #O PrivacyOptions=authwarnings

Everything worked correctly before this change, but my logs were full of
warnings about user 'nobody' (webserver) sending as another user.

Let me know if you need more help and I can send you my config files.

	Andy